Saturday, December 02, 2006

On Marriage...

- "Marriage should be honored by all..." Hebrews 13:4

- What is the right age for a person to marry? I was 24, and recently someone accused me of having married too young (not that I accept that enough to even let it bother me, I did just what God told me and I am perfectly happy). However, I have in the past thought that different people were too young to marry. Upon reflection I don't think it is age that determines readiness. Of course if you marry at 20 you will be a different person at 30, but if you marry at 30 you will be a different person at 40 so age cannot be the determining factor. We are (hopefully) always changing and growing. Readiness must be individually determined.

-"What he asked of me is that I should be his wife. I understood that to mean that he desired me to keep him a clean house, serve him digestible food, mother his children and give him loving sympathy and tenderness." Elnora, A Girl of the Limberlost

- Favorite Marriages (in no apparent order):
1. Mine (of course) I notice that the longer I'm married the more I see how right Josh is for me. God is good.
2. Scott and Jody, a perfect example of real people living life together.
3. Admiral and Mrs. Croft, Jane Austin's Persuasion
4. John and Laura
5. Greg and Barb
Does commitment make anyone else happy?

- A lot of us think that marriage will meet our emotional needs. We would do better to see it as two people working through life together. The "romance" of it springs from us working together for the good of the family in a kind and unselfish way. Don't you want to kiss you husband when he is being unselfish?

- It's good to hate divorce, God does.

- "You will certainly be a different person 20 years after you marry, it is not your common interests that hold you together, but your common values." attributed to Mrs. S. (sorry if misquoted)

4 Comments:

At 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like these thoughts. I appreciated reading this.

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger LeeBee935 said...

hmmm....good stuff

 
At 5:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

very good stuff. And I don't think 24 was too young. That seems like a normal age to get married.

I'll make Christmas cookies anytime - all you have to do is tell me you're visiting!

 
At 12:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love being married, too, and I love Tim more and more as time goes on. Perhaps people who think a certain age is too young are simply thinking that they were too young when they were that age. I was 21 and I kind of felt old.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home